The Golden Plains Area Extension Program
The Golden Plains Area Extension Program is a joint effort of the counties in Colorado's Northeastern Plains. Since 1968, the local governments of Kit Carson, Phillips, Sedgwick, Washington, and Yuma counties have banded together, along with state and private partners, to provide the resources necesary to fund the Golden Plains Area Extension Program for our citizens. These are just a few of our programs:
- 4-H Youth Development.
- The Golden Plains Area 4-H Program is for all youth ages 5 through 18. Members learn valuable life skills, such as leadership, ethics, decision making, record keeping, responsibility and community service - through projects in environmental science, rocketry, foods and nutrition, animal science and photography, to name just a few.
- Agriculture & Natural Resources.
- The Golden Plains Area Extension Program is at the forefront on agronomic & water research. Our research spans crop research plots, irrigation efficiency, weed and pesticide management, crop insect control and monitoring, agricultural marketing and much more!
- Yard and Gardening
- We are proud of our Golden Plains Area Horticultural program. From questions on lawns, gardens and trees to developing local community gardens and community based Colorado Master Gardeners, trust our resources for all your yard and gardening needs.
- Family Consumer Sciences.
- Needing to plan a family budget? Need information on a balanced and nutritious meals for you and your family? Needing information on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle? The Golden Plains Area Extension Program can help you with current and up to date information and advice.
- Green & Renewable Resources.
- Solar, wind and biomass/biofuels are some of the abundant sources of energy in Eastern Colorado. Look to the Golden Plains Area Extension program to provide you with information and resources to take advantage of these opportunities in your home or for your business.